Monday, May 18, 2009

national anthem and singing it as a showstopper

We've noticed how the hullabaloo on Martin Nievera's singing of the Philippine National Anthem at Manny Pacquiao's fight has come to play. That the Historical Society has uttered their displeasure for Nievera's tweaking of the last 6 notes (he raises the note from "tay" of "ang mamatay ng dahil sa yo" then consequently dipped it to effect a concluding rousing finish). Sure, I understand. Something historic should be sacred. But I am surprised why suddenly, Nievera's being castigated in the gravity that we are hearing from the news.

Some years ago, Christian Bautista was tasked to sing the song, and through all his correct notes, Bautista jumbled the lyrics into an embarassing mishmash. When another no-named lady singer - the relative of a former actor/then senator - was given the opportunity to do the same, she horrifically sang with all the flats and sharps as she peaked into the song! Kinatay ang Lupang Hinirang. I thought she was spweing, "Sulong mga kapatid!" These were horrible performances that placed our lyrically-rich anthem to shame. Yet all these historians seem to have forgiven them and charged them to human error. You are put to task to represent our anthem and you don't even memorize your lyrics enough? You don't even rehearse enough to get your notes right? Yet we hardly hear of threats of punishment from the politicians and historians.

Now, here is Martin Nievera. Voice strong and clear. As he was singing the anthem, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful our anthem is. He made me realize how proud I should be - for even in the confines of an anthem - we are a very rich nation of brilliant musicians and singers like Nievera. He was note perfect! He was loud and clear. And he made me wanna sing my anthem once again! How proud I was that people were listening to Martin. How proud I was that foreign ears actually stood back and listened - and appreciated our anthem. I don't think we have succeeded in getting that sort of attention from any of Pacman's anthem aingers before! NEVER! Until Martin Nievera...

So, please... lay off Martin Nievera. Though there were some tweakings at the end, he didn't mean to disrespect our anthem. In fact, he made me proud. Just remind him that sometimes, some things ought to be sung the way they should be, the way they ought to be.

And he didn't forget his lyrics. He didn't sing into flats and sharps. He made me proud, as Manny Pacquiao made me proud.

No comments: