Saturday, July 26, 2008

one humdrum afternoon

All my energy's rarin' to be unleased but I'm stuck on a boring Saturday afternoon. Perhaps I need Enervon. Di ba, more energy, mas happy? Speaking of that irksome commercial, I've wondered how much KC Concepcion was paid to draw those smileys several times over. She has been a ubiquitous sight. In fact, as I write this, she has graced my television screen ad nauseam. She is a lovely lady, but I prefer to ogle at that cutie pie caucasian guy of the Century Tuna commercial.

Now that I think about it, Miss Concepcion is invading my life! Eeeeek! My mom spent a fortune to get this paleozoic coffee table from Iloilo to Manila. And guess what's on top of it? aka Cassandra! KC's debut cd! Both my teenage brothers seem to enjoy listening to it. Brian - the self-confessed school hearthrob - plays a particular song, then stares at this droll CD cover. It's scary looking at him like that. He has girls queueing for him in school - and he pines over a CD cover? Pathetic. And can I please get a tissue for his gob puddling my floor? Ewww.

To be fair about it, KC has a lovely voice. But on random tv guestings, she would rather go for those Alanis Morisette- type of songs "Imposible"? The level of difficulty is obviously a challenge for an artist's vocal prowess. Unfortunately, it also highlights her vocal limitations. This early in her musical career, she does NOT want to alienate new-found fans by revealing so much of her current limitations. She should learn from her dear mother. She will be good at this singing stuff, but it will take time. I am starting to get annoyed listening to her sing "Imposible" - especially when she starts wailing - ooooeeeeooohhhhh. Something like that. Only, more disgusting.

Where has that lovely voice gone? They are right there, in the lovely Tagalog tracks like "Doo Be Doo" (supposedly an African song adapted to Tagalog) and the endearing "Ngiti Lang", which is a Ryan Cayabyab song. I was born ages after many of Mr. Cayabyab's songs made the airwaves so I am not familiar with his supposed genius, but if just for this song, I have become a believer. When I feel down or displeased or aggravated, I secretly take KC's cd back to my room and secretly play "Ngiti Lang" - over and over - then I feel better. This is where I won't mind Ms. Concepcion invade my private space.

Too bad she seems to prefer hiding this feel-good song over the inane "Imposible". As for my hearthrob brother Brian, I'd kick his ass the next time he pervs on a droll CD cover. Makes me blush!


for pete's sake, buy the original

No comments: