Thursday, September 4, 2008

Babylon A.D. - Better Left To Its Ancient Roots






















I have been itchin' to watch the new Matheiu Kassovitz movie ever since I saw the trailer. Kassovitz is quite a French hottie who directed the neo-noir masterpiece "La Haine" (Hatred), a black and white cinematic essay on delinquency and violence in a French city. Kassovitz also starred in the sumptuous rom-com, Oscar-nominated "Amelie" where Kassovitz played Amelie's yummy OOD, as Kyle (one of my BFF) succinctly puts it. (OOD = object of desire) He has since directed the disappointing Hollywood thriller, "Gothika" where he was rumored to be fighting with his lead actress, Halle Berry.

So, it goes: Kyle made me a deal. If I accompany him to watch his bading flick at Robinson's Galleria, Crisaldo Pablo's Quicktrip (which was a disaster in all sense of the word), he shall accompany me to watch Kassovitz's Babylon A.D. Besides, bading flicks always seem to produce salivatory eyecandies with little substance - so we went! It was a fair deal.

I like Kassovitz. He has always churned out cerebral films - although he could do with a little more humor in his directorial pieces. And it's been awhile since I was able to watch a high-adrenaline, futuristic sci-fi adventure in the vein of the Terminator series.

SPOILER ALERT!

In a capsule, Vin Diesel plays Toorup who was tasked to safely "deliver" a special girl Aurora (Melanie Thierry, who reminds me of Uma Thurman) from Mongolia to America. The mission is risky. Toorup is a castaway vigilante who cannot enter the U.S., but as sci-fi flicks like this go, there is always a way to attain the impossible. What makes Aurora special? For starters, she started to speak at the age of 2. I did too and it didn't make me anything special. I can speak French. Oi oi oi! Merci! LOL. However, Aurora did her "yeses" in 19 languages! Moreover, there were things she could predict! And finally, she had an immaculate concepcion! And we're talking "twins"!

Now, bad bad girl Charlotte Rampling who plays the High Priestess has planned to secure these babies for the emergence of a super religion of sorts that will eventually dominate the civilized world! The new messiah multiplied by two! Imagine that! If this all seems too tall a story, it is! The characters were badly written. Read: they were boring, and I just couldn't empathize with their plight! I love Michelle Yeoh, who plays Sister Rebecca, who is tasked to take care of uber-Virgin Mary-wannabe Aurora, but the situations they were in didn't move me to sit back and enjoy! In fact, I was fidgeting on my seat! Whatever happened to my beloved Kassovitz? That's what he gets for standing me up at out dinner cruise along the Seine! Hahahaha!

With a narrative that inspires a lot of questions over questions, Babylon A.D. inspired me to bury the concept of this ancient mesopotamian city located in Babil, Iraq! It's better left undisturbed - for good! How was the big big man Mark Sinclair Vincent aka Vin Diesel? Let's just say I won't miss him for now.

Maybe when the latest incarnation of the film "The Fast and the Furious 4" opens June 2009, he shall do better? I probably wouldn't notice. My eyes will be fixed on the scrumptuous Paul Walker whom I have missed for ages! Kay Andrea del Rosario na lang si Vin! Paul is mine!


Touch my errrr... muscles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh mas wala namang laman yang vin movie na yan anussshhhh!
pinanood namin ang quicktrip at kaming buong barkada ay nagandahan sa pelikula! ito na yata ang pinakamagandang gawa ng direktor dahil pati yung mga kasabay naming nanood ay narinig namin na nagsabi na maganda ang pelikula ang tanging bading movie na hindi sex ang ibibenta kungdi ang puso sa loob ng baklang tao. ewan na lang, siguro mababa ang tingin mo sa kapwa pilipino. ewan pa ulit dahil siguro hindi ka kasi matalino. at nagtataray at nang-aapak ng ibang tao o pelikula para masabi lang na may blog ka. wag ka na mag-blog wala ka namang naibibigay na maganda sa kapwa mo ang galing mo pang manira ng ibang tao. kayo ang sumisira sa mundo dahil kung makapintas kayo, sobra, hindi para makatulong kungdi para magtaray lang. saang school ka kaya nanggaling?

Anonymous said...

oh but if you read his blog you will know that the writer is stupid and only does blah! this should be a blah-g and not a blog! you should keep your thoughts to yourself! your parents should be murdered for having raised someone like your sorry assssss!

Cathy Pena said...

the anonymous idiots above are neutered enough not to identify themselves.

I PAID TO WATCH A MOVIE THUS I DESERVE TO SAY WHAT I THINK ABOUT THE CRAP THAT I PAID FOR!

A bad movie, no matter how hard its filmmakers made them - with blood, sweat and tears, even - is still a bad movie - and Quicktrip is TRASH and beyond mediocrity! LOL

Magtanim na lang kayo ng kangkong coz obviously you are morons who don't know how to distinguish a good from a bad movie!

If you don't have the skin to face criticisms (and boy! I havent even started YET!), don't show it for public exhibition!

Magtanim na lang kayo ng malunggay sa bukid, nakaka talino daw yun. HAHAHA!

Here's my suggestion to you, ladies:

go put up your own BLOGSITE and praise your FUCKED UP MOVIE! Call it masterpiece - and get off doing that! I do NOT care!

In my book, i call a trash a TRASH coz it stinks! This idiot filmmakers even had the nerve to show this trash when, an hour into the movie, the screen turns blue - all the images on the screen, gone to the dogs! All that's left is the sound! Further along, the movie completely STOPS and jumps to the beginning! Having no chapter stops (cheap tech, obviously), they had to forward the movie to where its supposed to be! So my friends and I left coz we could not take it anymore. Too much punishment already!

Come to think of it, these idiots owe me P140! But then again, ibibigay ko na lang na abuloy. That will pay for the IQ of the two commenters above. LOL