Thursday, February 11, 2010

SpEd Hearts - Confusion in the Storytelling



Ciara Sotto is so lame!

In the indie movie “SpEd Hearts, she sleepwalks and wears a morose expression in all of her scenes, you wouldn’t know if she was happy or sad, angry or ecstatic. Even during her confrontation scene with her “father”, she was in a state of constant malaise. I wanted to take her shoulders and shake her to consciousness – just to take her out of her catatonia!

Rina (Ciara Sotto) teaches for a special education class where children with special needs are served. When Jonathan (Paolo Rivero – again!) comes into the picture, Rina leaves her petulant dad who is against her relationship with her under achieving beau. Rina fights for and joins Jonathan, along with her bastard child. But Rina soon learns that life with Jonathan isn’t what she thought it would be. So she leaves him, and eventually decides to trade her “fulfilling” daytime job for the uncertainties of far Canada.

A significant side story is that of a married gay man (Crisaldo Pablo’s comic flower Chamyto Aguedan, simply billed “Chamyto”) who works with Rina and tends to his family (a wife and - heavens! – 6 children). But on the side, he keeps a male lover. All was well until the plot thickened! Then the movie’s editor suddenly jumped off the building as the story turned into a mishmash of badly executed comic situations that was really just an exposition of “how gay daddy was caught by son and relatives”! With Chamyto comically playing dad, didn’t anyone see that a mile away? If you had half a brain, you would know Chamyto’s sexual preference, even if you closed your eyes or were in Saturn. Unless you are a moron, of course! This narrative string, obviously misplaced, was played out in redundant scenes that highlighted how confused or unfocused the storyteller was – director Felbert P. Go (“Hikbi”).

Once again, my P161 swirled down the drain! The money that my dad gave me turned into shit! Being a consumer, shall I have the honor to complain to the Consumer’s Board for craps disguised as artistic products?

On a personal note, I am not really sure if my friend Iya is still talking to me after taking her to two successive horrible indies in 2 weeks. Far as I know, she got so alarmingly silent as we drove out of Galleria parking! If this movie will cost me my friendship with a childhood friend, then I would demand the heads of Ciara, Chamyto and the director on a pink platter! I am so sorry, Iyaya! I promise never to insist again on another garbage next time we go out to watch! I'll even pay for our next movie, swear I will!

If we are indeed experiencing the New Golden Age of Philippine Cinema through Digital Indies, why is commercial cinema being bombarded with the best of the worst movies week after week after week? If this is “renaissance”, oh please please please – stay dead!



Paolo Rivero in another indie!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this film, and yes it was a waste when it seems like you were watching two films! New actors were a lot better than seasoned ones, I loved that cute Korean one, I think his name is T-mur Lane Lee? Cutiepie!!!

Cathy Pena said...

Cutiepie alert! Haha! Unfortunately,I must have dozed off to miss T-Mur Lane Lee if he was indeed "SpedHearts". Who was he there?

He seems to be having quite a lot of photos and even a vid in the net. Cutie, absolutely!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Yer right papable!!!! u shud link his name hre 2!!!!